After all said and done, the Sunday evening meeting between the Federal Government of Nigeria and the nation’s Workers representative, Nigerian Labour Congres, NLC has ended in the cancellation of the proposed strike over fuel and electricity tariff hike.
JEGIQ.TV has learnt that the NLC President, Mr. Ayuba Wabba gave the following as reasons the proposed strike was called off.
- Mr Ayuba Wabba, NLC President said that both the government and organized labour have looked into the issue of fuel price hike and what was needed to be put in place in order to address the issue of the increase.
2. We have discussed the state of our refineries and how to achieve sustainable refineries.
3. We have also looked at the issue of the tariff hike and other challenges.
4. We agreed to suspend the strike, and we agreed to also put a committee in place to work out lasting solutions in addressing these challenges, including the issue of metering and importantly also is to bring about the issue of efficiency.
5. We also reviewed the process of privatisation and other issues such as clear palliatives that were needed to be extended to our members and Nigerians to cushion the effect of these policies.
Meanwhile, Nigerians have expressed anger and dismay at the outcome of the meeting by the NLC which they had expected would result in the abolishing of the hike or a standoff with the government.